cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I accessed my account, and I can only see some odd, old files. Is my account & files gone?

I accessed my account, and I can only see some odd, old files. Is my account & files gone?

GW5
Explorer | Level 3

Today, I tried to find my Dropbox desktop app, and it wasn't loaded. I googled Dropbox and entered that way, and without having to put a password in, I was directed to my account. It appears to be a basic account with none of my files attached—just a couple of weird downloads of some French language courses. I checked my credit card, and I'm being charged for what appears to be a premium-type package. I can't understand what has happened. I no longer use the email that appears to be set up with the account so if there has been emails sent I would not have received them.

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @GW5 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

It sounds like you're looking at the wrong Dropbox account. Do you have any other Dropbox accounts associated with different email address(es) of yours by any chance? 

Could you try our self served look up tool to identify the email address that's associated with the charge you mentioned?

If you manage to find the email address, is it an exact match with the one you see on your account's settings?

Also, did you upgrade through the website in the first place or via the app store on a mobile device perhaps?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

GW5
Explorer | Level 3

Walter 
I'm not great on computers so I can only tell you what I can figure out. We have moved to Quebec and at some point I tried to change the email associated with the account. The OLD email associated with the account was removed (changed in Feb 2023). Before Feb 2023 we used either removed The current account that comes up when I go in now is under removed and it appears to be a basic free account. The charge each month on my credit card is $31.63 which Is the figure I have written down with my paperwork prior to Feb 2023. I don't remember opening a new account and I can't tell you when the files disappeared because I really haven't paid much attention to the computer setup since moving in June 2023. All I know is I'm paying the $31.63 each month so the account has to still be open.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @GW5!

I removed all the emails, since it's not safe to appear in a public forum. 

Do you have access to any of the email addresses? I'm asking, because if you do, you could try accessing any Dropbox accounts linked to these emails, by requesting a new password. 

You would then receive a password reset to the email linked to the account, and then try to access and check for the files there.

Have you tried locating the charge, using our look-up tool as Walter suggested earlier? If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll be able to open a ticket on my end for you, in order to locate where the charge is coming from. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GW5
Explorer | Level 3
I think I've got it fixed as I was able to find it using one of the old email addresses. Everything seems to be working fine now except I can't get your desktop app to download. That I can work on but for now I'm happy all my pictures etc. are safe.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Awesome news @GW5!

When you say you can't get the app to download, would you like to share a few more details on this, in order for me to be able to help as much as possible? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    GW5 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?